Middle Office Operations
LOCATION: Westmount, Montreal
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Permanent
Walter Public Investments (WPI) is a global public equity manager and part of the Walter Group, a family-backed multi-faceted investment management firm. Comprised of talented teams of seasoned financial professionals, the group manages a sizeable portfolio of assets internally and for like-minded external clients.
Guided by a strong entrepreneurial spirit spanning multiple generations, the group embraces an active and long-term approach to investing in alignment with the objectives of our clients. Our teams bring passion to everything we do, and foster relationships based on trust, integrity, respect, and fairness.
To support our growth, we are looking for a Middle Office / Fund Operations professional to join our firm. Reporting to the Managing Director of WPI, and in collaboration with our investment and accounting teams, the candidate will ensure smooth operation and accuracy of records for our funds and client portfolios. The selected applicant will be responsible for daily reconciliation, trade matching and settlement, account monitoring and reporting, as well as preparing analysis documents for the investment management team. The ideal candidate has a background in business (finance or accounting), with 2-5 years of experience in a similar role at an asset management firm.
The candidate should have a basic understanding of securities, capital markets and trading workflows, strong computer/software skills with an ability to analyse and recommend process improvements. This role is well-suited for proactive, detail-oriented individuals with an eagerness to learn and adapt to a dynamic work environment with daily priorities. As the key person in charge of investment operations in a growing company, this position offers a breath of responsibilities and opportunities for advancement beyond what is typically offered for similar roles within larger organizations in the asset management industry. As such, the exact title of the position will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and qualifications.
- Conduct daily reconciliation of public portfolios/pooled funds with custodians
- Interface with investment team to ensure timely and error-free trading process:
- Verify all securities trades are executed and transmitted to brokers
- Prepare and send settlement information to custodians and fund administrators
- Actively monitor trades matching and settlement
- Guarantee integrity of securities and portfolio transaction database
- Coordinate with counterparties to resolve any record discrepancies
- Monitor cash movements in client accounts:
- Track cash balances and arrange movement in/out of accounts
- Track pooled fund inflows/outflows and coordinate with third party portfolio administrators
- Perform reconciliation exercises across multiple currencies; prepare FX trading instructions as needed
- Assist investment team and Chief Compliance Officer for onboarding of new clients, periodic updating of “Know Your Client” (KYC) information, account opening
- Prepare client invoicing, account statements and performance/attribution reports
- Respond to corporate actions and track proxy voting activities
- Provide general administrative support to the investment management team
- Recommend and implement improvement to securities workflow processes to increase the group’s trading efficiency and mitigate operational risks
- Update investment marketing materials including factsheets, presentations, and website
- Assist the team with special projects and client requests
Education and work experience:
- Undergraduate degree in business (finance, accounting, administration) or a related discipline
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in the securities industry: investment operations, middle or back-office, portfolio/fund accounting
- Completion of the Canadian Securities Course (CSC), an asset
- Experience with portfolio management or trade order management systems, an asset
Knowledge and skills:
- Attention to details and ability to deliver against various deadlines
- Teamwork skills and capacity to engage with multiple counterparties/partners
- Excellent communication abilities (oral and written)
- Fluency in English and French (oral and written)
- Strong computer aptitude with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Previous experience with advanced features like Macros and PowerBI, an asset
- Knowledge of investment-related applications (Bloomberg, Harmony, etc.), an asset
Submit your application (cover letter and resumé) to email@example.com by February 6th, 2023.
Please note that the level of the position, title and pay may be adjusted according to the selected candidate’s experience. We thank all candidates for their interest in Walter Public Investments. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.